Essex school places up for grabs
SCHOOL places are now up for grabs after Essex County Council opened its admission program for youngsters starting in September 2011.
The council is encouraging parents to utilise the tools on its admissions website to ensure they select the right school for their child.
Application dates have now been set, and parents and carers must apply between November 8 2010 and January 15 2011 for primary school places for the September 2011 intake.
From September 2011, all reception-aged children are now entitled to start school in September.
Applications can be made via the school admissions page. The site enables parents to search for school information, read OFSTED reports, check admissions criteria and submit applications.
Essex county councillor Stephen Castle, cabinet member for education said: “Choosing the first school for your child can be a daunting process. The admissions page aims to provide you with the tools you need to make an informed application.
“Last year we were able to provide most parents with their preferred school but schools can become oversubscribed so it is important for parents to select a full list of preferences to keep their options open”.
- 1 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 2 Toaster joy: Radwinter Repair Cafe to the rescue
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 5 Hands-on archaeology, beacons and picnics: Platinum Jubilee
- 6 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 7 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 8 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 10 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
Early application is encouraged to avoid disappointment, and it is advised to indicate more than one preference and to include priority admissions or catchment schools as a preference.