Essex schools urged to remain open during big freeze
SCHOOLS across Essex are being urged to remain open during the big freeze to give students the best chance of exam success. Essex County Council s cabinet member for education, Stephen Castle, will be writing to every headteacher in the area. I can sympa
SCHOOLS across Essex are being urged to remain open during the big freeze to give students the best chance of exam success.
Essex County Council's cabinet member for education, Stephen Castle, will be writing to every headteacher in the area.
"I can sympathise with headteachers that snow can result in problems with travel," said Cllr Castle. "But I would like to urge schools to stay open where possible and give children the chance to come to school and participate in a full day of learning, especially considering exams are fast approaching.
"This cold weather is due to continue for at least another week and parents should be able to make the decision as to whether they feel their child should attend school, as opposed to having this decision made for them."
The letter to headteachers will ask them not to take the decision to close a school lightly, as many in the community rely upon schools being open as usual.
"Enabling schools to be open is critically important for working parents and their employers, as their contribution to business and the Essex economy is often dependent on their child care arrangements not being disrupted," said Cllr Castle.
- 1 Delayed 350 homes development approved
- 2 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 3 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 4 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 5 Flashmob choir, free lessons: Latest Ukraine support
- 6 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 7 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
"While I was at school, I looked forward to days where we were able to enjoy the snow with friends during the lunch break in a safe and fun manner. We should return to this traditional way of responding, where children are allowed and encouraged to embrace the joys a snowfall can bring.