ESSEX: Severe weather conditions warning
ESSEX County Council is urging residents to travel with extreme caution later today as heavy rainfall followed by freezing temperatures may cause hazardous driving conditions.
Heavy rain is forecast across Essex today (Thursday), clearing in the afternoon. This will be followed by freezing temperatures meaning that ice will form on roads very quickly.
Rainfall will wash away any remaining gritting salt on roads, so the county council will be mobilising its gritting crews to treat the precautionary network as soon as rain stops. This may coincide with peak time evening traffic, which means it will take longer for gritting vehicles to get around the county to treat the main roads.
Although it is possible that timings may change motorists are advised to drive with extreme caution following heavy rainfall today. Residents should also keep a close eye on the weather forecasts for the latest updates.
The council’s cabinet member for Highways and Transportation Norman Hume said: “Extreme weather could lead to some very hazardous driving conditions today, so I would urge residents to drive very carefully and allow extra time for their journeys.
You may also want to watch:
“Our gritters will treat the network as soon as possible following rainfall, however they may have to contend with peak time traffic, so I ask residents to please bear this in mind before they travel.”
Residents can check which roads will be gritted and get the latest advice on safe winter travel by visiting essex.gov.uk/winter
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 4 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 5 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 6 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 7 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 8 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 10 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital