Essex snow summit is a success at Stansted Airport’s Radisson hotel
SNOW might be a distant memory, but gritting experts were out in full force today at Essex County Council s Snow Summit. The inaugural summit, the first national event of its kind in the UK, saw 150 delegates gather together at the Radisson Blu, Stansted
SNOW might be a distant memory, but gritting experts were out in full force today at Essex County Council's Snow Summit.
The inaugural summit, the first national event of its kind in the UK, saw 150 delegates gather together at the Radisson Blu, Stansted, to explore the impact this winter had on services across the UK and to look to best practice for the future.
Sponsored by May Gurney and supported by the LGA, the summit was addressed by speakers from both national and local government as well as suppliers and practitioners.
Delegates took part in a range of sessions from how to meet expectations and increased demand, to hearing from European experts on how they best deliver winter services in cold-weather climates.
The outcomes of the summit will feed into the LGA's review process and will influence future policy.
Essex County Councillor Norman Hume, cabinet member for highways and transportation said: "It has been a huge success. We've seen industry leaders gather together to talk about ways to improve winter services in the future and I'm proud that we've been able to facilitate this dialogue."
- 1 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 2 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 3 Derby fun for Wendens Ambo as they brush off logistical headache
- 4 Essex parents fear return to remote lessons amid school staff shortage
- 5 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
- 6 Walden author unveils third book, with a touching dedication
- 7 Fire and ambulance crews rescue after serious M11 crash
- 8 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Large Visitor Attraction of the Year finalists
- 9 In pictures: the cute animals in January's Pets' Corner
- 10 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
Martin Rosti, ABM Spiez in Kanton Bern, Switzerland, who spoke at the summit said: "In Switzerland, everyone works together to clear their roads from the ground up. Everyone takes responsibility, rather than waiting for people to clear their roads for them."
John Dowie from the UK's department of transport added: "Today's event is important because the solution lies in all of our hands. It requires co-operation between local and central governments as well as travellers themselves, so bringing these parties together is crucial."
The list of key speakers included:
John Dowie, Department for Transport and Chair of Salt Cell
Martin Rosti, ABM Spiez in Kanton Bern, Switzerland
Paul Watters, Automobile Association
Paul Finch, Institute of Directors
Adrian Runacres, Highways Legal Specialist