Essex snow summit is a success at Stansted Airport’s Radisson hotel
SNOW might be a distant memory, but gritting experts were out in full force today at Essex County Council s Snow Summit. The inaugural summit, the first national event of its kind in the UK, saw 150 delegates gather together at the Radisson Blu, Stansted
SNOW might be a distant memory, but gritting experts were out in full force today at Essex County Council's Snow Summit.
The inaugural summit, the first national event of its kind in the UK, saw 150 delegates gather together at the Radisson Blu, Stansted, to explore the impact this winter had on services across the UK and to look to best practice for the future.
Sponsored by May Gurney and supported by the LGA, the summit was addressed by speakers from both national and local government as well as suppliers and practitioners.
Delegates took part in a range of sessions from how to meet expectations and increased demand, to hearing from European experts on how they best deliver winter services in cold-weather climates.
You may also want to watch:
The outcomes of the summit will feed into the LGA's review process and will influence future policy.
Essex County Councillor Norman Hume, cabinet member for highways and transportation said: "It has been a huge success. We've seen industry leaders gather together to talk about ways to improve winter services in the future and I'm proud that we've been able to facilitate this dialogue."
- 1 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 2 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 3 New Walden mayor announces his charities for the year
- 4 Old pirate ship climbing frame is removed for safety
- 5 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 6 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 7 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 8 Concerns that Covid lockdowns has caused fitness levels to drop
- 9 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 10 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
Martin Rosti, ABM Spiez in Kanton Bern, Switzerland, who spoke at the summit said: "In Switzerland, everyone works together to clear their roads from the ground up. Everyone takes responsibility, rather than waiting for people to clear their roads for them."
John Dowie from the UK's department of transport added: "Today's event is important because the solution lies in all of our hands. It requires co-operation between local and central governments as well as travellers themselves, so bringing these parties together is crucial."
The list of key speakers included:
John Dowie, Department for Transport and Chair of Salt Cell
Martin Rosti, ABM Spiez in Kanton Bern, Switzerland
Paul Watters, Automobile Association
Paul Finch, Institute of Directors
Adrian Runacres, Highways Legal Specialist