Essex: Summer Reading Challenge volunteers wanted
VOLUNTEERS aged 14 and above are needed to help children keep reading in the summer holidays.
It is the ideal opportunity to have fun, gain new skills and it’s also great for the CV.
The national Summer Reading Challenge takes place every year in all Essex Libraries. Last year over 42,000 children took part in the challenge by reading books to gain rewards.
This year’s challenge is called Creepy House.
Essex Libraries are looking for young volunteers who can commit to a minimum of 15 hours from July 20 to September 2. Volunteers will help library staff sign up children to the Summer Reading Challenge and talk to children about their books, encouraging them to complete the challenge.
You may also want to watch:
Application forms are available from libraries or from the Essex Libraries website essex.gov.uk/libraries in the Volunteering with Libraries section. The closing date for applications is Friday April 26 for students aged 16 or over and Friday June 14 if under 16.
County councillor Jeremy Lucas, cabinet member for Environment and Culture, said: “Last year we had a fantastic 578 volunteers completing 9,993 hours in 70 libraries helping staff deliver the Summer Reading Challenge.
- 1 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 2 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 3 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 4 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 5 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 6 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 7 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 8 Church praises members for 'fantastic' Harvest Time generosity
- 9 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
- 10 Council to debate 'underperforming' planning service
“This is a great opportunity for young people to help their communities by encouraging children to improve their literacy skills. Volunteers gain valuable work experience and enjoy taking part too!”
For more information, call 01277 624624 or e-mail email@example.com