ESSEX: Talks between the fire service and FBU are postponed at the last minute
TALKS aimed at resolving a dispute between Essex firefighters and managers have been postponed.Talks were due to take place today (Friday) but were cancelled last night. Members of the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) commenced industrial action, short of a str
TALKS aimed at resolving a dispute between Essex firefighters and managers have been postponed.
Talks were due to take place today (Friday) but were cancelled last night. Members of the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) commenced industrial action, short of a strike, on August 26 in protest over proposed cuts to the fire service.
The FBU says the fire authority plans to press ahead with frontline cuts on October 1, with the first wave to take place in Colchester, Leigh, Chelmsford, Harlow and then at Basildon or Grays. They have asked for the move to be halted whilst talks take place.
Paul Adams, Essex FBU secretary said: "It is astonishing, the talks were meant to take place this morning (Friday) but I found an email in my inbox late last night cancelling the talks.
You may also want to watch:
"We were told the chief officer was working on some new proposals for today's meeting. But we can't resolve the issue if one side won't talk to the other."
The fire authority has said that the changes being made are to improve the service to the community.
- 1 Extension lead warning after fatal fire in Saffron Walden
- 2 New solar farm policy 'ducks the main issues', say campaigners
- 3 Gardeners behind the best-kept Saffron Walden allotments named
- 4 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 5 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Food collection and seasonal songs at R A Butler's harvest festival
- 8 Team Max to hold fundraising auction for planned children's hospital
- 9 Covid booster vaccinations scheme is rolling out at pace
- 10 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book