ESSEX: Talks between the fire service and FBU are postponed at the last minute
TALKS aimed at resolving a dispute between Essex firefighters and managers have been postponed.Talks were due to take place today (Friday) but were cancelled last night. Members of the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) commenced industrial action, short of a str
TALKS aimed at resolving a dispute between Essex firefighters and managers have been postponed.
Talks were due to take place today (Friday) but were cancelled last night. Members of the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) commenced industrial action, short of a strike, on August 26 in protest over proposed cuts to the fire service.
The FBU says the fire authority plans to press ahead with frontline cuts on October 1, with the first wave to take place in Colchester, Leigh, Chelmsford, Harlow and then at Basildon or Grays. They have asked for the move to be halted whilst talks take place.
Paul Adams, Essex FBU secretary said: "It is astonishing, the talks were meant to take place this morning (Friday) but I found an email in my inbox late last night cancelling the talks.
You may also want to watch:
"We were told the chief officer was working on some new proposals for today's meeting. But we can't resolve the issue if one side won't talk to the other."
The fire authority has said that the changes being made are to improve the service to the community.
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 3 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 6 Shooting star: Coward-Holley's road to Tokyo 2020
- 7 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 8 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 9 It's A Very British Murder with TV historian Lucy Worsley at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 EA Festival debut: New festival quenches region's 'thirst for culture'