Essex teens encouraged to sign up for adventure programme
- Credit: Archant
TEENAGERS in Uttlesford are being encouraged to sign up to an adventure programme.
The National Citizen Service (NCS) is a Government-backed scheme aimed at 16- and 17-year-olds, and is run by Essex Boys and Girls Clubs and Essex County Council.
During the 2013 summer holidays and autumn half term, NCS will see young people take on on action-packed courses as well as planning, funding and completing a project which benefits their community. They will take activity and skills challenges, followed by a part-time volunteer programme.
The youngsters will also have a chance to make new friends, attempt activities such as climbing and abseiling as well as developing and delivering social action projects to support local issues that matter to them.
A spokesman for the scheme said: “The project aims to promote a more cohesive, responsible and engaged society by bringing young people from different backgrounds together to make a difference in their communities.
You may also want to watch:
Essex County councillor Stephen Castle, cabinet member for Education and Lifelong Learning, said: “The National Citizen Service offers young people a fantastic opportunity to try a new range of experiences and activities. It is a great opportunity for young people to do something worthwhile with their free time and I encourage all those eligible to apply to take part.”
NCS has already garnered support from local businesses, MPs and celebrities such as television presenter Bear Grylls.
- 1 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 2 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
- 3 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 4 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 5 'Pup Idol' comes to Saffron Walden as search for Wizard of Oz pooch Toto begins
- 6 Juniors the toast of Saffron Walden Golf Club after double championship success
- 7 Q&A: Elsenham WI President Moyra Jackson
- 8 NCTJ staff raise more than £7,000 for journalism bursary
- 9 There With You This Winter: Walden Mayor backs our campaign
- 10 Saffron Striders hit the Cambridge Half Marathon en masse
EBGC and the county council are currently recruiting for the 2013 summer holidays and autumn half term. Year 11 and 12 students can sign up by texting NCS and their name and postcode to 60777. More information and sign up forms can be found at ncsyes.co.uk or by visiting the NCS East Facebook page.