Essex village gets Big Lottery cash to spruce up hall
A COMMUNITY has been given a BIG boost as it sets about renovating a well used village hall.
Duddenhoe End Village Hall Committee received a �7,000 Awards for All grant, which is run by the Big Lottery Fund, to make repairs and upgrades to the ageing facility.
The money will be spent on replacing old doors and windows. It is the main phase in a larger renovation project which includes replacing wooden cladding, improving insulation and putting in new toilets.
Committee member Martin Bach said: “The village hall is 80 years old and in need of a refurbishment. It serves Duddenhoe End and surrounding areas such as Wendens Loft and it is the only community facility that we have got – so it is fundamental that we keep it running.
“This is a substantial amount of money for us and we are very grateful to the Big Lottery Fund. Replacing the windows and doors is the prime thing that needs doing and this will kick start the project.”
You may also want to watch:
As well as catering for private functions, the hall hosts community events such as keep fit, painting and puppy training classes. The committee also held a party on Saturday to celebrate the facility’s 80th anniversary.
“It is a well used hall but is showing its age. We hope that by bringing it into the 21st century it will be used even more,” said Mr Bach.
- 1 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on June 24, 2021
- 2 In pictures: Success for Fête de la Musique 2021
- 3 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 4 Two teachers smash fundraising target in charity cycle challenge
- 5 Time to teach 'pandemic puppies' new tricks, charity says
- 6 Why we refer to 'a pair' of knickers
- 7 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 8 When Covid-19 restrictions lift, will we ever shake hands again?
- 9 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 10 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
For details, bookings and pictures of Saturday night’s 80th anniversary party visit devh.org
? The Awards for All programme offers grants of between �300 and �10,000 to social and environmental projects that will benefit local communities and make a difference to the lives of those most in need. Voluntary and community groups, schools, health organisations and parish and town councils can all apply. Visit awardsforall.org.uk or phone 0845 410 20 30 for information.