Estate agent Mullucks Wells welcomes arrival of QD Stores in old Woolworths building
ESTATE agents Mullucks Wells has said the arrival of QD Stores in the former Woolworths building is a significant boost for Saffron Walden s hard-hit town centre. Saffron Walden-based estate agents Mullucks Wells has announced that a lease has been agreed
ESTATE agents Mullucks Wells has said the arrival of QD Stores in the former Woolworths building is a significant boost for Saffron Walden's hard-hit town centre.
Saffron Walden-based estate agents Mullucks Wells has announced that a lease has been agreed for QD Stores at 26-28 High Street - the opening of which will create around 20 new jobs in the town.
QD Stores also opened a branch in the former Woolworths store in Bishop's Stortford last year.
Mullucks Wells Commercial Director, Richard Roberts, said "This is a much-needed piece of good news for Saffron Walden.
You may also want to watch:
"Over the past twelve months some of the town's biggest companies have disappeared and the buildings they once occupied have been left standing empty. Eaden Lilley, Saffron Glass and Bubbles Bathrooms have all fallen victim to the recession. But now we know the tills will be ringing at a prime High Street premises once more."
QD's marketing operations manager, Alan Hatcher, confirmed that work on the new store will start immediately, saying: "Given that there is a significant amount of building work to be done in order to carry out a full refurbishment of the current premises and to maximise the retail space available, it is anticipated that the new store will open in late spring."
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 7 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 8 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 9 Thaxted flash flooding the 'worst in 30 years', says councillor
- 10 In pictures: Saffron Walden Round Table's Big Day Out
It's believed that the company will expand the shop floor by around a third, making use of an area previously allocated for storage and deliveries.
The intricate pressed tin ceiling will be left in place, but concealed by a new suspended ceiling hanging below it. The new store will stock products as varied as linens, homeware, soft furnishings, toys and car accessories.
Mr Roberts added: "For every property, the right occupier is out there somewhere. At Mullucks Wells, our job is to fit one with the other. And QD Stores are very much the right occupier for this property.