Events held in Uttlesford in recognition of Dementia Awareness Week
A RANGE of events are being held locally to publicise the support services for people with dementia in Uttlesford.
The theme of the Alzheimer’s Society’s awareness week – in recognition of Dementia Awareness Week – is ‘Remember the person’ in an attempt to help people look beyond a diagnosis of dementia. It is also aimed at breaking down the stigma felt by people living with dementia, and their families.
Support services manager of the Alzheimer’s Society in West Essex Marion Howell said that “dementia is probably one of the biggest health and social care challenges over the next 20 years” – it is estimated that there are 927 people with dementia in Uttlesford, many of whom are undiagnosed. This is expected to rise by another 150 over the next two years.
The services offered at the Alzheimer’s Society Dunmow office include one-to-one support including home visits, a support and information service for people recently diagnosed with dementia, and peer support groups.
Information desks are being held in Dunmow Library from 10 am–12 pm on Tuesday July 5 and at Saffron Walden Library on Thursday July 7 from 12–2 pm.
You may also want to watch:
The Golden Acre Memory Caf� at Ross Close, Saffron Walden, will be launched between 2pm-4 pm on Thursday July 7 and there will also be an open morning at the Garden Group in Dunmow among other events.
For more information contact Jacky Fitzpatrick on 01371 872519.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 3 Affinity Water to resume water softening in Saffron Walden
- 4 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 5 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 6 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 Uttlesford residents help council map 'vital' green spaces
- 8 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 9 Essex filmmaker's animated journey through the universe to be shown at Saffron Screen
- 10 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?