Expenses scandal: New Essex County Council leader pays tribute to Lord Hanningfield
ESSEX County Council has today (February 9) announced that Cllr Peter Martin will be its new leader with immediate effect. The decision follows a meeting of the full council where Cllr Martin was confirmed as leader. Cllr Peter Martin, now leader of Esse
ESSEX County Council has today (February 9) announced that Cllr Peter Martin will be its new leader with immediate effect.
The decision follows a meeting of the full council where Cllr Martin was confirmed as leader.
Cllr Peter Martin, now leader of Essex County Council paid tribute to his predecessor, Lord Hanningfield, who resigned on Friday (February 5) after he was charged under the theft act in relation to false expenses claims.
He said: "I am deeply honoured to have been appointed to this position. Essex County Council is one of the most dynamic and innovative authorities in the country that over the last few years can genuinely say that it has led the way in doing things differently when it comes to improving the quality of life for its residents.
"This success and record of achievement is due, in part, to the strong leadership of my predecessor. I would like to pay tribute to the role and significant contribution that Lord Hanningfield has made over the past ten years as leader of the authority and throughout his time as a member.
"He leaves Essex County Council in an enviable position in regard to the quality of its services and finances.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 2 IN PICTURES: Simple Minds kick off this year's Heritage Live concerts at Audley End House & Gardens
- 3 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 'Group of youths' set fire to football ground in Saffron Walden
- 5 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 6 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 7 Sir Tom Jones, Simple Minds, Elbow and the Bootleg Beatles to headline four nights of concerts at Audley End
- 8 No Stansted Express trains for five days in August
- 9 Items worth three-figure sum 'stolen' from Holland and Barrett
- 10 Museum art project to explore 'The Lost Language of Nature'
"I would like to emphasise that the council's commitment to delivering excellent public services and value for money for residents is as strong as ever.
"We have the largest savings programme of any council in Britain that will deliver �300 million of savings over the next three year by reducing bureaucracy and streamlining internal processes.
"Our ambitions for delivering the best quality of life and working with our excellent employees to help deliver fantastic services year round remain as bright as ever."
Cllr Peter Martin - Biography
Cllr Peter Martin was previously the Deputy Leader of Essex County Council before today's announcement.
He is the county councillor for the Chelmer Division of Chelmsford and has been a county councillor since 1989.
Previous portfolios have included Environment and Waste, Economic Development, Heritage, Culture and Arts, Planning, Property, Procurement and Major Infrastructure Projects.
Cllr Martin is also a Member of the Local Government Association, the East of England Regional Assembly, the Conservative Councillors' Network, Chairman of the FirstSite Partnership Board and a Deputy Lieutenant of Essex.
Aside from his public life, he has had a career in business and commerce.
Having trained and practiced in accountancy he became an investment analyst before going on to serve on the board of a public retail company as the operations director and then as managing director.
He is now a Director of Veolia Water East Ltd.