Experience what life was like during the First World War this summer at IWM Duxford
- Credit: Archant
Families can experience what life was like in the trenches this summer as IWM Duxford will be holding lively learning sessions about the First World War.
This is just one of the many informative and fun activities put on at the museum from Saturday until September 3.
Everything from how the Great War started, to how soldiers kept themselves entertained between battles will be covered over the coming months.
Youngsters will be able to get a real wartime feel when they try on mini replica uniforms, webbing and head dresses. And they can look through the periscope to spy on what’s happening in No Man’s Land.
There will also be a chance to get creative by making and painting Airfix models of First World War aircraft in the AirSpace exhibition.
You may also want to watch:
A competition, from Airfix, will also be running over the summer. Children are asked to colour in an Airfix model box design on a template sheet – and entries are encouraged to be colourful and vibrant.
There are two categories, one for aged eight and above and one for under the age of eight.
- 1 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 4 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 8 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 9 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 10 George Peasgood doubling up at Paralympics with cycling selection following triathlon call
The prize in each category is a family ticket for a return visit to IWM Duxford and a hamper of Airfix goodies. The competition will be judged at the end of the summer holidays.
The family activities are included in general admission to IWM Duxford. Visitors aged 15 and under enter for from to the museum and to the summer holiday activities.