Fake toys seized at Stansted
- Credit: Archant
Building blocks seized by border officials at Stansted Airport last month have now been confirmed as counterfeit toys, worth £18,000, and destroyed.
Destined for the UK, the LEGO imitation goods, which included superheroes Iron Man, Batman and Spiderman, were listed as ‘plastic blocks for decoration’. The 2,315 figures and assorted kits were sent from China in four separate packages, with a declared value of just $365.
“Smugglers are not concerned with the commodities that they deal in, only what will make them a profit,” said Border Force Regional Director Phillip Holliday.
“The challenge for Border Force is to stay one step ahead of the smugglers,” he said.
This discovery is the second in a recent spate of counterfeit toy importing, after nearly 500 fake Disney products bearing pictures from the Film ‘Frozen’ were found at Stansted.
You may also want to watch:
“Members of the public can help to disrupt this trade by ensuring they only buy from genuine retailers and our advice, as always, is if a price appears too good to be true, it probably is,”
As the rights holders, LEGO can now decide whether or not to prosecute the importer privately.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 3 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 6 Robin Hood pantomime to celebrate Harlow Playhouse's 50th birthday this Christmas
- 7 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 8 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 9 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 10 'Not now, Bernard' - Children's concert to open Saffron Walden Symphony Orchestra's new season
Anyone who has been sold counterfeit goods or knows someone who is selling them should contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.