Family of ducks herded safely through Saffron Walden town centre
- Credit: Archant
A family of ducks were found wandering through Saffron Walden today (April 27) and had to be shepherded through the busy town centre by thoughtful residents.
Ben Hartley, who was one of the helpers, contacted the Reporter with pictures to tell the story of the ducks’ journey through town.
The mother duck and her 15 offspring were herded on a route up Market Hill, down Church Street and High Street, and down to the ponds near Park Lane.
Groups of on-lookers stopped to watch as the tiny ducklings enjoyed a bath in a puddle en route before hitting the shops by roaming in and out of the town’s stores.
The adventure included a dangerous road crossing, with roadside drains causing some additional problems for the young ducklings.
You may also want to watch:
But the whole family eventually made it safe and sound to the ponds near Swan Meadow car park, and were able to swim off together.
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 3 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 4 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 7 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 8 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 9 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 10 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month