Family praise

PUBLISHED: 13:29 21 February 2008 | UPDATED: 21:23 31 May 2010

THE actions of a Newport family whose living room caught fire have been praised by the fire crew called out. At 7.20pm on Sunday, fire crews were called to a house in Debden Road, where a fire had begun in the front room. Newport station officer Neil Byfo

THE actions of a Newport family whose living room caught fire have been praised by the fire crew called out.

At 7.20pm on Sunday, fire crews were called to a house in Debden Road, where a fire had begun in the front room.

Newport station officer Neil Byford said: "The girl told her mother as soon as she noticed the fire and did exactly the right thing, by getting out straight away.

"They shut the doors, which prevented smoke spreading. Because of their actions the house should be repairable."

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire using a hose, putting it out by 7.45pm.

It is believed the fire was caused by an electrical fault.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter