Fears raised over Essex County Council’s decision to remove bus passenger assistants
CONCERNS have been raised over Essex County Council’s plans to remove the requirement for passenger assistants on school buses.
As of April 6, all school buses with more than eight seats will no longer have an escort on board, a move that Clavering Primary School headteacher Rosalind Allsop has branded as “totally unacceptable”.
“We have children of all ages who use this transport ranging from four to 11 and some are on the bus for half an hour,” she said. “The youngest children have just started attending school full time and are too young to be unsupervised for this period.
“The driver’s role is to concentrate on driving, not look after the children or ensure their safety.”
The Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT) has also raised concerns, particularly as the council did not hold any form of consultation.
You may also want to watch:
The CPT has asked the council to complete a risk assessment ahead of pushing ahead with the decision.
Operators who attended a meeting between the CPT and ECC last week stressed that passenger assistants provide an important safeguard for young and vulnerable passengers in tasks such as ensuring that seat belts are worn at all times and that pupils are collected by the correct people.
- 1 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 2 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 3 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 4 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 5 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 6 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 7 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 8 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 9 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 10 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert