Felsted Prep Students break world record
- Credit: Archant
SINGERS from Felsted Prep School joined thousands of others to blow the top off the O2 Arena – breaking a world record along the way!
Last week the school’s choir travelled to the capital to join 8,000 pupils from across the country to take part in the Young Voices concert, an annual event run to raise funds for the children’s cancer charity CLIC Sargent.
After rehearsing incredibly hard throughout last term, the school’s choir were fortunate enough to watch the African Children’s Choir, who helped record Sir Gary Barlow and Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Diamond Jubilee song, ‘Sing’ this summer. The pupils were astounded by this choir’s energy and enthusiasm, finding their performance truly inspiring.
Felsted Preparatory School then joined the African Children’s Choir, along with 8,000 other pupils, to perform ‘Sing’. Among the other songs performed were; a ‘Pop Medley’, a ‘Rock Medley’, a ‘Disco Medley’ as well as songs from U2, musicals and the Beatles.
A celebrity appearance was made by Britain’s Got Talent’s Connie Talbot, 12, who secured the world record for the highest number of backing singers to a lead vocalist.
You may also want to watch:
The First World Choir was held by David Lewis, the founder of Young Voices, in 1992 and involved 10,000 singers. Since then the concerts and those taken part have grown exponentially with over 150 concerts for young people having been staged already.
Rachel Clarke, assistant director of music at Felsted Prep said: “I would like to thank all the children for their hard work, enthusiasm, patience and immaculate behaviour on the day, the excellent team of staff who helped both before, during and after the event and the fantastically supportive parents who were not only in very good voice at the event, but probably had to put up with some very tired children the next morning.”
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 6 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 7 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 10 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100