Felsted School fire: Head confirms building needs to be demolished
A PUBLIC school has confirmed a building which was involved in a huge fire on Sunday night will have to be demolished.
Over 50 firefighters were called to Felsted School around 7pm on July 15 after FollyField House – a boarding house for around 60 girls aged 13-18 – caught fire. It took crews over five hours to bring the fire under control and they were on site until Monday evening.
Staff at the school has speculated the building would have to be pulled down but it has now been confirmed by Dr Mike Walker, the school head teacher.
“It is now confirmed that the remains of the building will need to be demolished in the coming weeks. The school is in consultation with various agencies to ensure that this happens quickly and safely. The cause of the fire is not yet confirmed officially, but we now believe that it was caused by an electrical problem.
“The plans for Follyfield in September are coming together, and we hope to be able to communicate these to you all early next week. “Thank you for your continuing messages of support and offers of assistance.”
You may also want to watch:
No-one was injured in the blaze.
- 1 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 2 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 3 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
- 4 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 5 'Pup Idol' comes to Saffron Walden as search for Wizard of Oz pooch Toto begins
- 6 NCTJ staff raise more than £7,000 for journalism bursary
- 7 Saffron Striders hit the Cambridge Half Marathon en masse
- 8 Juniors the toast of Saffron Walden Golf Club after double championship success
- 9 There With You This Winter: Walden Mayor backs our campaign
- 10 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage