Film and TV star Ray Winstone takes a flight in a P-51 Mustang at Imperial War Museum Duxford
ACTOR Ray Winstone has paid a visit to The Fighter Collection at Imperial War Museum Duxford ahead of one the world’s laregest warbird air shows.
The film and TV star visited the facility yesterday (Tuesday) to absorb the atmosphere prior to Flying Legends which will be held this Saturday and Sunday (July 9&10).
Flying Legends features classic Second World War-era propeller-driven aircraft in an amazing aerial display.
A keen historic aviation fan, and a particular fan of second world war aircraft, Mr Winstone enjoyed a flight in a P-51 Mustang which was piloted by Steve Hinton, a Reno Air Race Champion. This was accompanied by two other P-51 Mustangs, one flown by Stevo Hinton (Steve Hinton’s son) who is the youngest ever Reno Air Race Champion.
With only days to go until Flying Legends, The Fighter Collection and Imperial War Museum Duxford are delighted to announce that over 55 aircraft will be participating in this year’s warbird spectacular, with three second world war Hispano HA_1112 MIL (Buchon), a debut by the Aer Lingus DH-84 Dragon Iolar, a rare air show appearance of three Skyraiders, The Horsemen, the world’s only P-51 Mustang formation aerobatic team, displaying as a two-ship with pilots Dan Friedkin and Ed Shipley showcasing the aircraft that made America great, and The Flying Bulls’ Lockheed P-38 Lightning reg.N25Y and Chance Vought F4U-4 Corsair reg.OE-EAS.
You may also want to watch:
On the ground there will be fun activities and a 1940s atmosphere with dancing, music and living history groups.
For further information go to iwm.org.uk/duxford
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 3 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 4 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 7 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex