Film director Simon Curtis to visit Saffron Screen
SAFFON Screen is welcoming film director Simon Curtis for a Q&A session following the screening of his film My week with Marilyn (15) on Saturday (April 21) at 8pm.
The Q&A will be hosted by Heidi Thomas, scriptwriter of Call the Midwife and Cranford, some episodes of which were directed by Simon Curtis.
Don’t miss the chance to ask Curtis about his debut feature film set in the summer of 1956, when 23-year-old Colin Clark (Eddie Redmayne) is working as a lowly assistant on the set of The Prince and the Showgirl and spends an idyllic week introducing Marilyn Monroe (Michelle Williams) to the pleasures of British life.
Williams won a Golden Globe, and was nominated for an Oscar, for her sensational portrayal as the wilful, brilliantly gifted Monroe. The film also stars Kenneth Branagh, Judi Dench and Dougray Scott and it features Karl Moffatt as Saffron Walden’s own Jack Cardiff (who filmed The Prince and the Showgirl).
Continuing the local connection, it is interesting to note that some scenes were filmed at Duxford IWM.
Curtis began his career directing at the Royal Court Theatre and has been linked extensively to BBC Television and Films as a producer/executive producer and director of more than 50 productions.
In 2007, he directed the stars of Heidi Thomas’ BAFTA and Emmy award winning series Cranford. In 2011, My Week With Marilyn was nominated for a Bafta for Outstanding British Film.
- 1 Uttlesford Local Plan delay 'necessary' say councillors
- 2 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 3 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 4 Debden man fundraising for Mind with 480km walk
- 5 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 6 Tea party celebrates Saffron Walden Museum volunteers
- 7 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 8 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 9 Saffron Walden maze is refurbished
- 10 Solar farm application decision is deferred
My week with Marilyn is showing at Saffron Screen at 8pm on Friday April 20 and Saturday April 21, with the Q&A session taking place on the Saturday.
Tickets prices for this screening are: Full �6.20, Adult concession �5.20, 18 & under �4.60 and are available from the cinema box office, Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre, or online at saffronscreen.com.