Film director Simon Curtis to visit Saffron Screen
SAFFON Screen is welcoming film director Simon Curtis for a Q&A session following the screening of his film My week with Marilyn (15) on Saturday (April 21) at 8pm.
The Q&A will be hosted by Heidi Thomas, scriptwriter of Call the Midwife and Cranford, some episodes of which were directed by Simon Curtis.
Don’t miss the chance to ask Curtis about his debut feature film set in the summer of 1956, when 23-year-old Colin Clark (Eddie Redmayne) is working as a lowly assistant on the set of The Prince and the Showgirl and spends an idyllic week introducing Marilyn Monroe (Michelle Williams) to the pleasures of British life.
Williams won a Golden Globe, and was nominated for an Oscar, for her sensational portrayal as the wilful, brilliantly gifted Monroe. The film also stars Kenneth Branagh, Judi Dench and Dougray Scott and it features Karl Moffatt as Saffron Walden’s own Jack Cardiff (who filmed The Prince and the Showgirl).
Continuing the local connection, it is interesting to note that some scenes were filmed at Duxford IWM.
You may also want to watch:
Curtis began his career directing at the Royal Court Theatre and has been linked extensively to BBC Television and Films as a producer/executive producer and director of more than 50 productions.
In 2007, he directed the stars of Heidi Thomas’ BAFTA and Emmy award winning series Cranford. In 2011, My Week With Marilyn was nominated for a Bafta for Outstanding British Film.
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 3 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 6 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
- 7 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 8 Coronavirus one year on: Stansted suffers 95% drop in passengers
- 9 Saffron Striders doing their bit for charity as racing returns
- 10 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
My week with Marilyn is showing at Saffron Screen at 8pm on Friday April 20 and Saturday April 21, with the Q&A session taking place on the Saturday.
Tickets prices for this screening are: Full �6.20, Adult concession �5.20, 18 & under �4.60 and are available from the cinema box office, Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre, or online at saffronscreen.com.