Financial support offered for Uttlesford businesses affected by February’s flooding
- Credit: Archant
Uttlesford District Council has agreed to provide financial support to those businesses in the district that have been affected by the recent flooding.
It follows the introduction of the Business Support Scheme and the receipt of £22,500 of funding from UK Government.
The Business Support Scheme was introduced by the Government on February 17 following the exceptional widespread winter flooding which crippled some communities.
The district council has now agreed to administer this scheme locally and distribute the funding allocation to those businesses that have been impacted by the floods and suffered a significant loss of trade.
All small and medium sized enterprises in flood affected areas are eligible to apply.
Cabinet member for finance, Cllr Robert Chambers, said: “I am delighted we have received this money from central government and we are now keen to pass this onto those businesses that have been affected by the unprecedented flooding we suffered in our district.
“I want to urge those businesses to come forward and apply before the deadline of Friday, April 25 at 5pm.”
- 1 Driver shortage leaves Walden pupil without school transport
- 2 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 3 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 4 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
- 5 Data reveals distracted drivers repeatedly caught in Essex
- 6 Plans for 18 houses in Countryside Protection Zone near Stansted Airport
- 7 Police appeals into two Uttlesford incidents
- 8 Essex: More Electric Vehicles needed to meet goals
- 9 Saffron Walden youngsters show grit in defeat to Wymondham
- 10 easyJet: 'We don't have plans for more routes from Stansted'
Grant funding can be used to claim for costs including the following:
• Immediate clear up costs (not covered by insurance);
• Removal of debris;
• Non recoverable insurance excesses for repair or replacement of equipment and stock;
• Non recoverable insurance excesses for repair or replacement of building structures;
• Temporary Business Accommodation;
• Extra staff costs;
• Exceptional business costs (e.g. hire of dehumidifiers);
• Structural Surveys;
• Security Measures;
• Exceptional costs to improve access for suppliers or customers; and
• Significant loss of trade (very small or insignificant impacts will not be considered and this will be at the discretion of the awarding panel).
The following are not covered by this grant:
• Insured losses or items that insurance should normally cover;
• Activity that remains the responsibility of local authorities or other bodies, such as drainage boards, to address; and
• Recoverable VAT.
Businesses that have chosen not to take out insurance cover for their business cannot claim for costs which would normally be covered by a standard insurance policy.
If businesses have insurance cover but have chosen not to claim against it, they cannot claim for costs which would be covered by it.
Applications received after the deadline of April 25 will not be considered.
Following the application deadline, all the bids will be considered and businesses will be notified in the week commencing May 5 of the grant application decision.
All grant payments awarded will be paid via BACS on Thursday 15 May or as soon as possible after that date.
Application forms are available at: uttlesford.gov.uk/businesssupportscheme
For further information, contact Simon Jackson, economic development officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01799 510521.