Man rescued by firefighters as blaze devastates flats in Saffron Walden

PUBLISHED: 10:23 25 July 2019

The damage caused during the blaze in Radwinter Road, Saffron Walden. Picture: ECFRS

The damage caused during the blaze in Radwinter Road, Saffron Walden. Picture: ECFRS

Archant

A group of people were said to have been left homeless following a major fire at flats in Saffron Walden on Wednesday.

The damage caused during the blaze in Radwinter Road, Saffron Walden. Picture: ECFRSThe damage caused during the blaze in Radwinter Road, Saffron Walden. Picture: ECFRS

Fire crews from Saffron Walden and Newport were called to studio flats in Radwinter Road at about 2pm amid reports of a blaze.

A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said: "Our teams rescued a man trapped in a first floor bedroom when a ground floor flat was well ablaze below him.

"He was taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation, two further casualties who escaped the fire were also taken to hospital. All were treated by ambulance paramedics and the hazardous area response team. Five people were rendered homeless as a result of this serious fire."

The fire service said all flats had been rendered uninhabitable because of smoke damage.

The damage caused during the blaze in Radwinter Road, Saffron Walden. Picture: ECFRSThe damage caused during the blaze in Radwinter Road, Saffron Walden. Picture: ECFRS

The cause of the fire was found to be a candle that had been left unattended.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter