Pan catches fire after hob left on at house in Saffron Walden
- Credit: Archant
Crews were called to a house in Strachey Close in Saffron Walden yesterday after reports that it was smoke filled.
On arrival firefighters found that the whole house was heavily smoke logged and entered the property to find a pan alight on the hob in the kitchen.
Crews quickly extinguished the fire using a fire extinguisher.
Saffron Walden watch manager Paul Curtis said: “We were called after a neighbour heard the smoke alarm at the same time as the owner returned home to find the house smoke logged. The owner immediately closed the door and called 999, which was exactly the right thing to do. The fire was caused by a pan which had caught alight after the hob was accidentally left on.
“This incident shows how important it is to have working smoke alarms, as well as how vital it is to ensure everything is switched off after you’ve been cooking.
You may also want to watch:
“Over half of house fires start in the kitchen. Thankfully no major damage was done here, but please always make sure you always follow our kitchen safety advice.”
The house has suffered some smoke damage.
- 1 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 2 New outreach Post Office for community
- 3 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 7 Classical BRIT Award-winning Jess Gillam to play Saffron Hall
- 8 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 9 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 10 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled