Pan catches fire after hob left on at house in Saffron Walden

PUBLISHED: 10:37 31 October 2018

Fire crews were called to a pan fire in Strachey Close, Saffron Walden yesterday.

Fire crews were called to a pan fire in Strachey Close, Saffron Walden yesterday.

Archant

Crews were called to a house in Strachey Close in Saffron Walden yesterday after reports that it was smoke filled.

On arrival firefighters found that the whole house was heavily smoke logged and entered the property to find a pan alight on the hob in the kitchen.

Crews quickly extinguished the fire using a fire extinguisher.

Saffron Walden watch manager Paul Curtis said: “We were called after a neighbour heard the smoke alarm at the same time as the owner returned home to find the house smoke logged. The owner immediately closed the door and called 999, which was exactly the right thing to do. The fire was caused by a pan which had caught alight after the hob was accidentally left on.

“This incident shows how important it is to have working smoke alarms, as well as how vital it is to ensure everything is switched off after you’ve been cooking.

“Over half of house fires start in the kitchen. Thankfully no major damage was done here, but please always make sure you always follow our kitchen safety advice.”

The house has suffered some smoke damage.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter