Fire service issues carbon monoxide warning
THE fire service has issued a warning about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning following an incident with a pensioner near Saffron Walden.
Overnight the Service attended two incidents – one in Wendens Ambo involving an 81 year-old woman – in which people had suffered the effects of carbon monoxide inhalation.
In both cases crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the gas from the property.
A spokesman for ECFRS said: “In the current cold weather many homes will be bringing out extra heaters to provide extra warmth and it is vital that everyone makes sure that they are safe from the dangers posed by carbon monoxide.
“Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious threat and if people don’t make a special effort to look out for the signs or equip themselves with an alarm then it is very easy for it to go undetected until it is too late.
You may also want to watch:
“The symptoms of poisoning are very much like those people suffering with flu or food poisoning would have so it’s not uncommon for people to stay in their home, where the dangerous leak is, treating themselves for these illnesses and not getting the leak fixed.
“The symptoms to be aware of are a shortness of breath, mild nausea and mild headaches. If you are suffering any of these symptoms then check to make sure there is no leak in your home.
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 3 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 8 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 9 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 10 In pictures: Saffron Walden Round Table's Big Day Out
“Carbon Monoxide detectors will warn people of any danger and every home should have one. It is also vital to have all work on gas appliances done by a Gas Safe registered gas fitter and to carry out regular checks to appliances and flues.”
Signs to look for which warn of a Carbon Monoxide leak:
- Yellow or brown staining around appliances
- Pilot lights frequently blow out
- Increased condensation inside windows
- Yellow rather than blue flame
- If you are suffering shortness of breath, mild nausea, mild headaches or flu like symptoms