Firefighters extinguish house blaze near Saffron Walden
PUBLISHED: 10:12 17 March 2016
Cambs Fire Service
A warning has been issued after a chimney fire near Saffron Walden yesterday (Wednesday).
Crews from Newport and Saffron Walden were called to Wicken Road, Arkesden, at 2pm after a fire broke out in the chimney.
The fire was extinguished by 2.38pm.
Sub officer Neil Byford said: “Incidents like this show why it is so important for people to get their chimneys cleaned every year. A build up of soot and ash in the chimney can easily catch fire. Chimney fires are not only dangerous but can cause a great deal of damage so we argue all everyone with a working fire to follow our chimney fire safety advice.
“Above all, ensure that you have a working smoke alarm fitted on each floor or your home.”
Officer Byford’s advice:
Have the chimney swept at least once a year, or more frequently if you burn wood.
Do not bank fires too high and remember to let them burn down well before you retire to bed.
Use a fire or spark guard to prevent accidental fires and make sure that it has the kite mark or conforms to a relevant British/European safety standard.
Do not place objects on or over the mantle-piece which may cause you to stand too close to the fire to reach or use them.
Inspect your chimney regularly – particularly in the roof space – to ensure that it is sound and that sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks.
Avoid burning resinous woods as soot builds up quickly.
Buy only suitable fuels.
Do not overload the grate.
To arrange for a home fire safety visit, which includes the figting of smoke alarms free of charge, call 0300 303 0088 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.