FIREWORKS: Helpful Tips On Staying Safe This Bonfire Night
IT S THE time of year when the skies are lit up by fireworks and a number of people will be heading outside to hold their own Bonfire Night celebrations.If you are planning to do so, there are a number of safety tips that you should bare in mind to make
IT'S THE time of year when the skies are lit up by fireworks and a number of people will be heading outside to hold their own Bonfire Night celebrations.
If you are planning to do so, there are a number of safety tips that you should bare in mind to make your November 5 as safe as possible:
* It is an offence to set off fireworks in a public place.
* Fireworks can cause damage or even serious injury if they are used incorrectly.
* You have to be 16 or over to buy novelty fireworks, such as sparklers, caps and serpents and 18 or over to buy all other types of fireworks.
* Always keep fireworks in a closed box.
- 1 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 2 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 3 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 4 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 5 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 Saffron Walden U13 Girls celebrate 3-0 victory
- 7 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 10 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
* Follow the instructions on each firework carefully.
* Always stand well back.
* Make sure all pets are kept in doors.
* Never give sparklers to children under the age of five.
* Never put fireworks in your pocket.
* Never throw a firework.
* It is an offence to let fireworks off between 11pm and 7am, except on November 5, Diwali, New Year's Eve and Chinese New Year when the curfew is midnight.
* An organised display is always the safest way to enjoy fireworks - check out our website for a list of displays in the area.