Former Essex bank is on the market for first time in 25 years
A PROPERTY in Saffron Walden town centre, which was once home to the first bank set up by the Gibson family, is coming to the market for the first time in 25 years. Gibson House on Market Hill has a rich history in the town and has played host to the Saff
A PROPERTY in Saffron Walden town centre, which was once home to the first bank set up by the Gibson family, is coming to the market for the first time in 25 years.
Gibson House on Market Hill has a rich history in the town and has played host to the Saffron Walden and North Essex Bank and later, the Post Office.
The Gibsons were Quaker brewers, bankers and landowners and opened their bank in the early 1820s.
Having achieved great success in Gibson House, the family moved their business to a more prestigious building in the Market Place - now the home of Barclays Bank - in 1874.
You may also want to watch:
For the past quarter of a century the building has been occupied by chartered surveyors Bruce Monroe and, currently, the estate agent Mullucks Wells who are relocating.
Described as a spacious Grade II listed period property, Gibson House offers 2500 square foot of accommodation plus a vast cellar.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 4 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 5 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 6 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 8 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 9 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 10 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
It is being offered for sale or to let and is suitable for retail, offices or residential (subject to the appropriate planning consents). It is a handsome building with a brick facade, sash windows and an elegant door case.
For more information on this property, please contact the managing agents, Mullucks Wells, on 01279 755900 or email email@example.com