Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- Credit: Archant
How would you best describe your job or role in the community? Partially retired now but I remain Chairman of the Constituency Conservative Association and am involved with a number of charities.
How long have you lived locally? Over 40 years in Great Chesterford.
What would you do if you were mayor for a day? Visit the lonely. Loneliness is a challenging problem in today’s busy world. If I had extraordinary powers (sadly not available to most mayors) I would devise an integrated transport system.
What is your favourite landmark in the area? The villages. If I had to pick one landmark then probably Thaxted Guildhall.
What is your favourite pub in the area? My local – The Crown and Thistle in Great Chesterford. Otherwise The Fleur de Lys in Widdington and The Crown at Little Walden.
You may also want to watch:
Which shops do you rely on locally? The village shop in Chesterford, independent food shops, Gray Palmer, Angela Reed, Lloyds Bank, Boots, Frank Riccio, the Rose Garden, Huws Gray Ridgeons. Both Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow have a great range.
What is your favourite place to go and eat in the area? The Flitch at Little Dunmow and the pubs already mentioned.
- 1 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 2 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 3 Saffron Screen's new Sunday night film season is For All The Brave Women
- 4 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 5 Essex newspapers are 'highly commended'
- 6 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 9 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 10 Winter wonderland coming to Cambridge as The North Pole ice rink returns
What is a perfect day locally for you? Enjoying local facilities/events with the family (including five grandchildren), then having a pub supper before going to Saffron Hall for something musical.
Which places in the local area would you recommend to visitors? Saffron Walden church, Bridge End gardens and the kitchen garden and miniature railway at Audley End.
Who is your local hero? Rab Butler.
What do you most love about the area? The people are special (even when we don’t win elections!), multiple beautiful buildings and summer fetes especially in Hadstock, Sewards End and Berden.