Free garden party for young children and families in Saffron Walden
- Credit: Archant
Fairycroft Children’s Centre is hosting a free garden party on Wednesday, May 21 to celebrate the opening of its new garden.
The centre has been developing its outdoor play space with the help of local voluntary organisation Dig It who have made raised flower beds for the children to learn to dig plants and grow flowers.
Gay Veal, volunteer treasurer for Dig It, said: “The garden at Fairycroft Children’s Centre was dark and overgrown but, with the combined efforts of Dig It volunteers and Spurgeons’ staff, it has been transformed into a sunny, colourful and productive area and is very much a reason for a party.
“Those who took part in the restoration of this little corner of garden are thrilled with the outcome and hope the children will continue to grow their own plants, learn about the seasons and wildlife, as well as enjoying the flowers and vegetables they grow.”
Lesley Murdoch, community engagement and volunteer coordinator for Spurgeons, which runs the centre, said: “The children are thrilled with the new garden that has been created for them, and the garden party will be a great event to mark the occasion. The Dig It volunteers along with Spurgeons staff have really done an excellent job.”
You may also want to watch:
The party will be held from 1.30-4pm at the centre on Fairycroft Road, Saffron Walden. No booking is required – simply turn up and join in with the activities at the centre.
All children under five and their parents and carers are welcome to the party and there will be activities and free ice cream for everyone.
- 1 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 2 Tools collection is a huge success
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 A Big Deal for Fairycroft House as comedy club makes comeback
- 5 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 6 Saffron Walden constituency could change shape in boundary review
- 7 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues
- 8 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision
- 9 New development plan for former Friends' School
- 10 Things to do in June - from open gardens to live music and dancing
For more information about the event, call 01799 521602.
For more information about Spurgeons children’s centres, go to spurgeons.org/childrens-centres