Free reflective bands for dog walkers available in Uttlesford
- Credit: Archant
Free reflective snap bands for dog walkers are being given away by Uttlesford District Council to help owners and dog stay safe in the dark winter evenings.
The council is reminding owners to always wear high visibility clothing such as a vest or reflective bands so that they can be easily seen by motorists.
Dogs can also wear a reflective collar, vest and lead which will increase their visibility in the dark.
The free snap bands are available for a limited time from the district council offices in London Road, Saffron Walden and at Great Dunmow Library.
Sue Knight, the council’s animal warden, said: “Recently I have seen so many owners and their dogs walking in the dark with no reflective gear. They are a hazard and are putting themselves at risk.”
You may also want to watch:
“It is also important to remember that if there is no pavement, you should walk against the flow of traffic and keep your dog on the side farthest away from the road. Walking in a group is advisable and is a lot safer than on your own.
“It may also be safer to change your route during the winter months – walk in well-lit areas, or consider taking your dog in the car to areas away from the road. Many parks and sports fields are well lit, but always check that dogs are allowed, and please always pick up after your pet.”
- 1 Essex Highways proposes 11-week closure to main road near Thaxted
- 2 Extension lead warning after fatal fire in Saffron Walden
- 3 New Stansted business park could support more than 3,000 jobs
- 4 Aviation day out at Audley End for west Essex Scouts groups
- 5 Remembrance parade will take place, says town council
- 6 Saffron Walden Town through in FA Vase after dramatic ending
- 7 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 8 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 9 New solar farm policy 'ducks the main issues', say campaigners
- 10 Autumn budget fails to address key air travel challenges, say industry chiefs