Free textile collections launched in Uttlesford
RESIDENTS can now recycle old clothes and other textiles at the kerbside thanks to a new service introduced in the district.
At no extra cost taxpayers, Uttlesford District Council has teamed up with a company called Essex Textiles to provide one of two free services, depending on where you live.
Essex Textiles has this week begun delivering blue recycling bags and an explanatory leaflet to all properties in the district.
A council spokesman described the move as a “win-win” situation adding: “Residents living in towns and larger villages will be able to take advantage of a fortnightly collection of textiles and shoes on the same day as their green bin collection.
“They just need to place their unwanted items in the bag and put the bag next to their wheelie bins by 7am on the day their green lidded recycling bin is collected.”
For people who live in the more rural parts of the district, Essex Textiles offers a call-and-collect service – just fill the blue bag and then call 0800 787 9071 to book a collection.
The spokesman added: “This new service should help improve even further the recycling rate of 55 per cent achieved by Uttlesford residents in 2010/11.
- 1 Delayed 350 homes development approved
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 6 Flashmob choir, free lessons: Latest Ukraine support
- 7 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Saffron Walden girls enjoy first festival outing
- 10 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
“Essex Textiles will also be making regular donations to the council chairman’s charities, which this year are Macmillan Cancer Support and Walking with the Wounded.”
For more information or if residents have not received their blue bags, visit essextextiles.co.uk or call 0800 7879 071.