Free textile collections launched in Uttlesford
RESIDENTS can now recycle old clothes and other textiles at the kerbside thanks to a new service introduced in the district.
At no extra cost taxpayers, Uttlesford District Council has teamed up with a company called Essex Textiles to provide one of two free services, depending on where you live.
Essex Textiles has this week begun delivering blue recycling bags and an explanatory leaflet to all properties in the district.
A council spokesman described the move as a “win-win” situation adding: “Residents living in towns and larger villages will be able to take advantage of a fortnightly collection of textiles and shoes on the same day as their green bin collection.
“They just need to place their unwanted items in the bag and put the bag next to their wheelie bins by 7am on the day their green lidded recycling bin is collected.”
You may also want to watch:
For people who live in the more rural parts of the district, Essex Textiles offers a call-and-collect service – just fill the blue bag and then call 0800 787 9071 to book a collection.
The spokesman added: “This new service should help improve even further the recycling rate of 55 per cent achieved by Uttlesford residents in 2010/11.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 4 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 5 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 6 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 7 Pets' Corner: Ben Fogle's plea over Bonfire Night
- 8 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
- 9 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 10 It's pumpkin picking season again at Cammas Hall Farm as Halloween approaches
“Essex Textiles will also be making regular donations to the council chairman’s charities, which this year are Macmillan Cancer Support and Walking with the Wounded.”
For more information or if residents have not received their blue bags, visit essextextiles.co.uk or call 0800 7879 071.