Free textile collections launched in Uttlesford
RESIDENTS can now recycle old clothes and other textiles at the kerbside thanks to a new service introduced in the district.
At no extra cost taxpayers, Uttlesford District Council has teamed up with a company called Essex Textiles to provide one of two free services, depending on where you live.
Essex Textiles has this week begun delivering blue recycling bags and an explanatory leaflet to all properties in the district.
A council spokesman described the move as a “win-win” situation adding: “Residents living in towns and larger villages will be able to take advantage of a fortnightly collection of textiles and shoes on the same day as their green bin collection.
“They just need to place their unwanted items in the bag and put the bag next to their wheelie bins by 7am on the day their green lidded recycling bin is collected.”
You may also want to watch:
For people who live in the more rural parts of the district, Essex Textiles offers a call-and-collect service – just fill the blue bag and then call 0800 787 9071 to book a collection.
The spokesman added: “This new service should help improve even further the recycling rate of 55 per cent achieved by Uttlesford residents in 2010/11.
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 3 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 4 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 5 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 6 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 7 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 8 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 9 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 10 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
“Essex Textiles will also be making regular donations to the council chairman’s charities, which this year are Macmillan Cancer Support and Walking with the Wounded.”
For more information or if residents have not received their blue bags, visit essextextiles.co.uk or call 0800 7879 071.