From fighting Giant Haystacks & Kendo Nagasaki,The Golden Boy prepares for musical in Saffron Walden
A 6FT 3ins wrestler will be leading a musical at Saffron Walden s Town Hall on Wednesday October 28 at 2.30pm. At a fighting weight of just over 16 stone, Neil Sands – aka The Golden Boy - will best be remembered by fans for his bouts with stars such as
A 6FT 3ins wrestler will be leading a musical at Saffron Walden's Town Hall on Wednesday October 28 at 2.30pm.
At a fighting weight of just over 16 stone, Neil Sands - aka "The Golden Boy"- will best be remembered by fans for his bouts with stars such as Giant Haystacks, Kendo Nagasaki and The Might Quinn for the heavy weight championship of the world.
But for the last two years he has been working in the production of Remember When which is aimed at providing magical, musical memories from the 140s to 1970s and features songs made famous by Doris Day, Vera Lynn, Elvis and Abba.
Neil said: "It is a real feel good mixture of sing along songs, show tunes and good old fashioned fun, with some amazing costumes and a unique atmosphere that will touch your heart.
You may also want to watch:
"Anyone who remembers me from my wrestling days knows I have always been a showman and this really will be a show to remember for a long time."
For the last 12 years Neil has been producing and appearing in a variety of theatre shows, and Remember When has toured the country and played out at prestigious venues such as Sheffield City Hall and the Manchester Opera House.
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 3 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 4 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 5 St Mary's service held to mark death of Prince Philip
- 6 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 7 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 8 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 9 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 10 Town council challenges water softening decision
The show has been playing to great acclaim and promises two hours guaranteed to get you singing and smiling.
Other works he as produced include Nashville Nights and Dixie Days, the Ultimate Jukebox Party and a special Christmas version of Remember When.
Joining Neil on stage are Gemma Turner and Lauren Atkins who have both appeared in various musical productions on stage and screen.
Show tickets at �9 are available from the Tourist Information Centre on Market Square or by calling 01799 534002. There is a special offer of buy 10 get one free available.