Gallery: Foggy farewell to US President Barack Obama
THE Essex weather forced a last-minute change of plan as President Barack Obama left Britain for the next leg of his world tour.Visibility was down to less than 100 yards, forcing security experts to veto plans to fly the President and his wife, Michelle
THE Essex weather forced a last-minute change of plan as President Barack Obama left Britain for the next leg of his world tour.
Visibility was down to less than 100 yards, forcing security experts to veto plans to fly the President and his wife, Michelle, by helicopter from the Regent's Park home of the US ambassador to Stansted Airport.
Instead, he was driven there in the bullet proof presidential limousine - nicknamed The Beast - and the 10-vehicle convoy swept through north London and up the M11 to Stansted.
Intense security meant that Air Force One was parked on the north side of the airport, which meant that departing passengers in commercial flights had no chance to see the President.
You may also want to watch:
The airport was closed and in-bound flights delayed until Air Force One took off at about 8.35am, heading for Strasbourg and the NATO summit where he is meeting French and German leaders.
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 3 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 4 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 5 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 8 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 9 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 10 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending