Gallery: Official opening for Stansted Air Cadets
IT was time for celebration as 494 Squadron ATC marked the official opening of their first purpose-built headquarters. Distinguished guests, family and friends of the Stansted Airport-based unit gathered at their new building on Second Avenue to watch a p
IT was time for celebration as 494 Squadron ATC marked the official opening of their first purpose-built headquarters.
Distinguished guests, family and friends of the Stansted Airport-based unit gathered at their new building on Second Avenue to watch a parade, dedication service and ribbon cutting ceremony.
Guest of honour was Lord Lieutenant of Essex, Lord Petre, who took the salute along with OC Essex Wing ATC Wing Commander Glen Mayes, and Lt Colonel Wells representing the 494th Fighter Squadron USAF based at RAF Lakenheath.
The ATC Ensign was raised at the new site and Squadron Padre Rev Canon Chris Bishop held a short service of dedication.
You may also want to watch:
The ceremony marked the end of a process that has taken over 10 years to come to fruition and represents a major milestone in the unit's history as until now they had been in various temporary accommodation.
A spokesperson for the squadron said "We are extremely grateful to all the people who have fought our corner along the way and the official opening provides us with an opportunity to thank our many friends and supporters. The new building stands as a testament to all their hard work and dedication to our cause.
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 3 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 4 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 5 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 6 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 7 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 8 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 9 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 10 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending