Gallery: Official opening for Stansted Air Cadets
IT was time for celebration as 494 Squadron ATC marked the official opening of their first purpose-built headquarters. Distinguished guests, family and friends of the Stansted Airport-based unit gathered at their new building on Second Avenue to watch a p
IT was time for celebration as 494 Squadron ATC marked the official opening of their first purpose-built headquarters.
Distinguished guests, family and friends of the Stansted Airport-based unit gathered at their new building on Second Avenue to watch a parade, dedication service and ribbon cutting ceremony.
Guest of honour was Lord Lieutenant of Essex, Lord Petre, who took the salute along with OC Essex Wing ATC Wing Commander Glen Mayes, and Lt Colonel Wells representing the 494th Fighter Squadron USAF based at RAF Lakenheath.
The ATC Ensign was raised at the new site and Squadron Padre Rev Canon Chris Bishop held a short service of dedication.
You may also want to watch:
The ceremony marked the end of a process that has taken over 10 years to come to fruition and represents a major milestone in the unit's history as until now they had been in various temporary accommodation.
A spokesperson for the squadron said "We are extremely grateful to all the people who have fought our corner along the way and the official opening provides us with an opportunity to thank our many friends and supporters. The new building stands as a testament to all their hard work and dedication to our cause.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 4 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 5 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 6 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 8 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 9 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 10 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing