Gallery: President Obama arrives at Stansted Airport
BARACK Obama, the 44th president of the United States, touched down at Stansted Airport yesterday evening. The President and First Lady were met by the Chancellor of the Exchequer Alastair Darling before boarding helicopter Marine One and heading for the
BARACK Obama, the 44th president of the United States, touched down at Stansted Airport yesterday evening.
The President and First Lady were met by the Chancellor of the Exchequer Alastair Darling before boarding helicopter Marine One and heading for the US ambassador's residence in Regent's Park, London
The President's 76-seat plane Air Force One touched down shortly before 8pm amid a massive security operation.
The plane arrived at Stansted's Business Aviation Centre, which is on the north side of the airfield and away from the main terminal.
You may also want to watch:
Airport security had been significantly beefed up for the occasion and both the CIA and Essex Police will be in attendance.
An entourage of almost 500 people, including 200 secret service officers, are accompanying the president during his eight-day five-nation tour which starts in the UK.
- 1 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 2 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 3 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 4 Town council backs new support club
- 5 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 6 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
- 9 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 10 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
Security agents from the US had previously flown into the UK to fine tune the security arrangements and the president's bullet-proof Cadillac had also been flown in.
This morning (Wednesday) the President arrived at Downing Street for a meeting with Gordon Brown ahead of the G20 summit.