Gallery & Slideshow: Katherine Jenkins performs a spectacular Last Night of the Audley End Proms
OPERA singer Katherine Jenkins wowed a 10,000-strong crowd with a stunning performance at the Last Night of the Audley End Proms on Sunday. Setting the scene for a night of spectacular entertainment, the final picnic concert at Audley End House and Garden
OPERA singer Katherine Jenkins wowed a 10,000-strong crowd with a stunning performance at the Last Night of the Audley End Proms on Sunday.
Setting the scene for a night of spectacular entertainment, the final picnic concert at Audley End House and Gardens in Saffron Walden began with a flyover from a Spitfire fighter plane.
Opera singer Katherine Jenkins entered the stage singing a beautiful version of Amazing Grace which had the audience entranced from the beginning.
Thousands of people, many whom had brought lavish picnic spreads, were treated to an unforgettable evening which stayed warm and dry throughout.
You may also want to watch:
The Welsh mezzo-soprano, who has sold more than five million albums worldwide, performed favourites such I Will Always Love You, Nessun Dorma and Time To Say Goodbye.
Also in her set was an a cappella song in Welsh, a rendition of Music Of The Night from Phantom of the Opera and a version of Happy Birthday dedicated to several members of the crowd.
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 3 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 4 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 5 St Mary's service held to mark death of Prince Philip
- 6 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 7 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 8 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 9 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 10 Town council challenges water softening decision
The concert ended with plenty of flag waving and patriotic fervour as Katherine and her orchestra performed all the classics that have come to be expected at the Last Night of the Proms. The crowd joined in with rousing renditions of Jerusalem and Rule Britannia.
To add to the friendly atmosphere of the evening, Katherine Jenkins enjoyed plenty of banter with the crowd and at the half-time interval asked members of the audience to write down questions for her.
She bashfully fielded questions about her boyfriend ex-Blue Peter presenter Gethin Jones and gave tips about how to succeed in the music business. She had three costume changes throughout the show each time coming out in a fabulous ball gown.
After appealing to the audience not to put the song on internet site YouTube, Katherine performed a number from her forthcoming album which she has been making in America.
The concert ended with a spectacular fireworks display which lit up the Audley End mansion and elicited cries of oooh and aaar from the capacity crowd.