Garage destroyed by fire in Ashdon

22 November, 2017 - 16:32
Fire crews are still at the scene in York Road in Royston.

Fire crews are still at the scene in York Road in Royston.


A house was left uninhabitable and a garage destroyed after a blaze broke out at the property this morning.

Fire crews from Saffron Walden and Newport were sent to the address in off Radwinter Road, Ashdon, at 9.48am.

The occupant was alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm, and so was able to get out and call the fire brigade.

Fire crews worked quickly to extinguish the fire and stop it spreading to the rest of the property.

The electricity, gas and water supplies had to be cut off so crews could deal with the fire safely.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service (ECFRS) said the garage has been destroyed, and the house has suffered some smoke damage.

The fire was found to have started accidentally. A burst water pipe in the bathroom led to water running down through to the electrics and to the boiler.

ECFRS said incidents like this show how important it is to have a working smoke alarm to give an early warning of fire so people can “get out, stay out, and call the fire service out”.

The brigade provides and fits smoke alarms free in a bid to get one in every home in Essex. To book a home safety visit call 0300 303 0088 or visit

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter