Garden waste scheme bonus for Uttlesford residents
- Credit: Archant
RESIDENTS who subscribe to the garden waste collection scheme are set to enjoy an extended service at no extra cost.
Uttlesford District Council’s fortnightly kerbside collections, run for the first time last year, will restart in the spring.
But this time anyone who subscribes will also get a month’s worth of collections in March 2014 once the service restarts after the December to February winter break.
The authority said the 3,000-plus households who subscribed to the service in 2012 would also get collections in March this year as “a special thank you”. For new subscribers, the service will start in April.
The district council’s cabinet approved details of the scheme at a meeting last Thursday (January 17).
You may also want to watch:
The subscription charge is being held at £40 for a full year, the same as in 2012, with a sliding scale of charges in place for anyone who subscribes mid-year. People on council-administered benefits receive a 25 per cent discount on the service charge. New subscribers must pay a one-off £20 for the bin.
People who use the service get a fortnightly collection for a 240-litre wheelie bin which can be used for any garden waste, including grass cuttings, prunings and leaves.
- 1 Tools collection is a huge success
- 2 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 A Big Deal for Fairycroft House as comedy club makes comeback
- 5 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues
- 6 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 7 Saffron Walden constituency could change shape in boundary review
- 8 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision
- 9 New development plan for former Friends' School
- 10 Contents from manor house go under the hammer
Cllr Susan Barker, cabinet member for Environmental Services, said: “The first year of the garden waste service proved to be very successful, with more than 3,200 households enjoying the fortnightly collection.
“I am delighted that we are now able to offer an extra month of collections in March next year to everyone and in addition give a month of collections this March to those subscribers who also tried the service last year.
“The garden waste service is very convenient and means all those garden cuttings can go in the bin rather than have to be taken to the tip.
“I am sure that those who used the service last year will want to sign up again, and I look forward to welcoming new subscribers too.”
Subscribers from last year will be written to individually by the district council with details of how to re-subscribe.
Any new customers who want to sign-up can do so by calling 01799 510510. Queries should be sent to email@example.com