GCSE results: Newport Free Grammar announce significantly improved exam results
STUDENTS and staff at Newport Free Grammar School are celebrating at the announcement of significantly improved GCSE examination results today.
• 77 per cent of students achieved the national benchmark figure of five A*-C grades including English and Maths
• 83 per cent of students achieved five A*-C grades, a rise of 7 per cent on both measures from last year
• 98 per cent of students achieved 5A*-G grades
• 93.4 per cent at least one A*-C
You may also want to watch:
• 99 per cent at least 1A*-G
• 24 per cent of the entries achieved A* or A grade
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 3 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 4 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 5 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 8 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 9 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 10 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
• 8 per cent of all grades were awarded an A*
The results represented strong performance across the full range of subject areas, as represented by the 35 per cent of students achieving the new English Baccalaureate measure.
Some 70 per cent of students achieved two or more A*-C grades in Science.
Headteacher Sean O’Hagan said: “These results are the best ever results for the school and are the result of huge amounts of work from students and staff alike.
“They maintain our progress of the last two years and show what can be achieved with hard work and determination. All the students and staff should be congratulated on this excellent performance.”
Top performers include:
For the girls:
Katie Rees: 9A* and 2A grades
Evelyn Carter: 7A* and 5A grades
Alix Wood: 7A* and 4A grades
Alexia Michaelides: 7A*, 4A and 1 B grade
Rebecca Hill: 6A* and 6A grades
For the boys:
Daniel Rock: 8A*, 2A, 2B grades
Edward Parry: 6A*, 2A and 3B grades