Get in touch with your inner Viking! Learn Nordic walking in Thaxted
- Credit: Archant
ANOTHER Nordic Walking course is being held for residents who are confident of trekking four miles or more.
Nordic Walking involves using poles to give your whole body a strenuous workout and is becoming increasingly popular in Britain. More than 300,000 people have tried the sport since it was introduced from Scandinavia in 2004, the vast majority in the past few years.
Nordic Walking exercises the upper body muscles as well as the legs in the same way as a cross-trainer at the gym, with the poles helping to propel the walker along.
It’s a bit like the walking equivalent of mountain biking - although the walker is working harder the support they receive from the poles reduces the fatigue factor.
The next course starts on Thursday April 11 in Thaxted and runs every Thursday for four weeks and including until Thursday May 2.
You may also want to watch:
Walkers should meet in the Margaret Street Car Park in Thaxted at 9.30am.
The course is delivered by Uttlesford District Council’s own qualified Nordic walking instructor Paul Goddard.
- 1 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 2 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 3 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 4 Delight as triathlon returns to Saffron Walden for 20th edition
- 5 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 6 Mencap 'thank you' for Dig It community allotment
- 7 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 8 New cup and pavilion are dedicated to memory of Colin Bazley
- 9 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 10 Cambridge Music Festival returns with 30th anniversary programme of concerts and online offerings
He said: “I urge people who enjoy walking to come along and try Nordic Walking – it works your whole body, increases energy and helps you tone up and lose weight.”
The tuition lasts for one hour each week and includes pole hire, a free UDC Nordic Walking Card worth £20 and a £5 discount voucher for Nordic Walking UK.
The course costs £39 and bookings can be made the council’s Customer Service Centre on 01799-510510, via e-mail email@example.com or in person at the council’s offices in London Road, Saffron Walden. Alternatively you can use the online booking from which is available to download at uttlesford.gov.uk/nordic
Please ensure you wear suitable footwear and clothing for walking in the countryside and remember to bring a drink or snack and sun tan cream if necessary.
For more information on Nordic Walking go to nordicwalking.co.uk and to find out more about local events contact Paul Goddard on 01799 510585 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org