Getting into the Saffron Walden Carnival spirit
- Credit: Archant
If there’s one house in town getting into the Saffron Walden Carnival spirit you can’t miss it if you are passing along Thaxted Road.
The bunting, flags, signs and decorations are aloft in preparation for Saturday’s procession (July 5) and the ‘8 Day Weekend’ carnival.
Residents Phillip and Rona Cruikshank are responsible, and got a visit from a team of grateful Round Tablers last weekend.
Phillip is the brains behind each design whilst Rona has the steady hand for the paintbrush.
Phillip, 82, said: “We really love the procession and look forward to putting out our decorations for every carnival. We have been doing it for the past 15 years.”
You may also want to watch:
Dean Head, chairman of the Saffron Walden Round Table, the carnival organisers, said: “It has given us the idea to run a ‘best dressed house’ competition for next carnival.
“We love the theme and their fun and enthusiasm – it is what the 8dayweekend is all about!”
- 1 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 2 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 5 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 Saffron Striders' Mark Coutts runs from Paddington to Bristol instead of letting the train take the strain
- 8 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
•Follow carnival at 8dayweekend.co.uk, where you can sign up for updates and be able to buy tickets. The ‘8 Day Weekend’ runs from July 4-12 on the common and throughout the town.