Gloomy weather prospects boost holiday jetaway at Stansted Airport
STANSTED Airport is expecting a surge in the number of holidaymakers looking for a late escape from the UK s gloomy weather prospects. Met Office predictions of a damp August have prompted many to look outside the UK for some summer sunshine. Temperatures
STANSTED Airport is expecting a surge in the number of holidaymakers looking for a late escape from the UK's gloomy weather prospects.
Met Office predictions of a damp August have prompted many to look outside the UK for some summer sunshine.
Temperatures in many parts of Europe are currently as high as 40C and travel agents are reporting a rush of bookings; some are seeing an increase in business of up to 30 per cent in the past two weeks and 40 per cent compared to the same time last year.
Financial concerns and predictions of a 'barbecue summer' had led many holidaymakers to plan a stay-at-home holiday this year. But the revised forecast for August is leading many to think again - and search for late booking to escape the predicted bad weather.
You may also want to watch:
Romania, Turkey, Norway, Morocco, South East Asia and Australia - all countries which still have their own currencies - are proving popular destinations at Stansted, along with Cyprus, Spain, Germany, the Canary Islands, Greece, Portugal and the Balearic Islands, all within the Eurozone.
Stansted's Head of Airline Relations, Mark Souter, said: "Stansted is a perfect choice if you're looking for a late break whether a weekend or a longer holiday.
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 3 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 4 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 7 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 8 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 9 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
"We have airlines flying to 150 destinations this summer so why not log on to www.stanstedairport.com and click on the Look and Book icon to find your perfect holiday.