Gloomy weather prospects boost holiday jetaway at Stansted Airport
STANSTED Airport is expecting a surge in the number of holidaymakers looking for a late escape from the UK s gloomy weather prospects. Met Office predictions of a damp August have prompted many to look outside the UK for some summer sunshine. Temperatures
STANSTED Airport is expecting a surge in the number of holidaymakers looking for a late escape from the UK's gloomy weather prospects.
Met Office predictions of a damp August have prompted many to look outside the UK for some summer sunshine.
Temperatures in many parts of Europe are currently as high as 40C and travel agents are reporting a rush of bookings; some are seeing an increase in business of up to 30 per cent in the past two weeks and 40 per cent compared to the same time last year.
Financial concerns and predictions of a 'barbecue summer' had led many holidaymakers to plan a stay-at-home holiday this year. But the revised forecast for August is leading many to think again - and search for late booking to escape the predicted bad weather.
You may also want to watch:
Romania, Turkey, Norway, Morocco, South East Asia and Australia - all countries which still have their own currencies - are proving popular destinations at Stansted, along with Cyprus, Spain, Germany, the Canary Islands, Greece, Portugal and the Balearic Islands, all within the Eurozone.
Stansted's Head of Airline Relations, Mark Souter, said: "Stansted is a perfect choice if you're looking for a late break whether a weekend or a longer holiday.
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 3 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 4 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 5 St Mary's service held to mark death of Prince Philip
- 6 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 7 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 8 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 9 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 10 Town council challenges water softening decision
"We have airlines flying to 150 destinations this summer so why not log on to www.stanstedairport.com and click on the Look and Book icon to find your perfect holiday.