Good news for Essex care home
PUBLISHED: 18:09 27 August 2008 | UPDATED: 21:34 31 May 2010
A TEMPORARY day centre will be provided for elderly people when a care home closes for redevelopment, it has been announced. Concerned daughter Teresa Rivers, whose 83-year-old mother has used the day centre at Stanley Wilson Lodge in Four Acres, Saffron
A TEMPORARY day centre will be provided for elderly people when a care home closes for redevelopment, it has been announced.
Concerned daughter Teresa Rivers, whose 83-year-old mother has used the day centre at Stanley Wilson Lodge in Four Acres, Saffron Walden, regularly since 1999, said: "It has taken a while to get there and this should have happened a lot sooner, but this seems like a good alternative to me."
Stanley Wilson Lodge owners, Excelcare, will erect a portable building close to the original site of the care home and day centre which is soon to be demolished.
A letter announcing the closure of the home was sent out to users over a month ago, but no mention was made of alternative facilities.
Sheltered housing officer for Uttlesford District Council, Jan Cousins, said: "I'm really cross that those letters were sent out with no reassurances given as to what would happen to the people who use the day centre. People have been frightened by the uncertainty and left in the lurch.
"The day centre is a very important service for the people who use it, as well as providing a respite for their families and carers."
Nicola Ryan from Excelcare apologised for the lack of a clear explanation in the letters, but explained "no decision had been made at that early stage".
"We have made a commitment to continue the day service while the redevelopment goes on," she said. "The portable buildings have a capacity for 20 people and currently the maximum attendance is 19. There are four or five people who require bathing in their care package, but it is not feasible to put these facilities in the temporary site."
Stanley Wilson Lodge is due to close on September 20 and development of a new 79-bedroom care centre in its place is expected to take about 18 months.
Construction manager Terry Blackwell said: "A planning application for the portable buildings was submitted to the council on Monday and we do not expect there to be a problem with it being approved."
The existing day centre staff will be retained and manager Debby Jackson said she was confident they could continue to run the same high standard of service in the temporary facility.