Gordon's 'fiver for a jab' fundraiser for NHS
- Credit: Gordon Smart
A pensioner from Linton has come up with a "fiver for a jab" fundraising scheme which aims to raise £160,000 for NHS staff.
Gordon Smart has set up a Just Giving site inviting those who have had the Covid-19 jab, or due to have it, to donate £5 to NHS Charities Together to support the nurses and staff administering the vaccination programme.
It the same charity the late Captain Tom Moore walked 100 lengths of his garden for last year to raise nearly £39m.
Mr Smart's campaign, which began at the end of January, has collected more than £1,000 of a £160,000 target.
He said: "It costs nothing for the vaccination jab but what if we all gave £5, or whatever we can afford?
You may also want to watch:
"If you think about it, 1,000 people joining the scheme raises £5000, 10,000 makes £50,000 and if one million join, it's an enormous sum."
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
- 8 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 9 Saffron Striders doing their bit for charity as racing returns
- 10 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site