Great Chesterford FC’s 20th anniversary match raises �400 for charity
TO celebrate the club’s 20th anniversary, Great Chesterford FC played their final pre-season friendly against a ‘Legends of Chesterford’ team at the village’s Recreation Ground. The event raised over �400 for Cancer Research UK in the process.
Formed 20 years ago, Great Chesterford FC started life in the Bishop’s Stortford league under the name Wenden Wanderers and quickly established itself as one of the area’s most popular, friendly and successful clubs.
Having gained promotion to the league’s premier division, the club sought a new challenge and, in 2002, switched to the Cambs FA League. In doing so, it also changed its name to Great Chesterford FC to reflect where the club has since played its home matches.
For the club’s anniversary match, The Legends of Chesterford side boasted an experienced team of players who, collectively, have made over 2,000 appearances for the club. The legends’ side also fielded Sean Anderson, Warren Harper, Darren Diggons, Niall McCarthy and former player, manager and current club chairman Selwyn Parrish, all of whom made their debuts in the inaugural season in 1992.
Played in a mixture of bright sunshine and violent thunderstorms, the crowd in attendance were treated to a thrilling game, with last season’s top goal scorer and player of the year Richard Barnfather scoring an 87th minute header to seal a hard-earned 4-2 victory for the current team.
You may also want to watch:
With the fixture now set to become an annual event, the cash raised by the players was handed to Martin Porter, who dyed his hair bright pink throughout August to raise money for Cancer Research UK. Readers wishing to donate to Porter’s ‘Pink Hair Challenge’ campaign can do so by visiting justgiving.com/Martin-Porter2
- 1 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 2 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 6 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 7 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 8 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 9 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
- 10 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100