Great Chesterford volunteer receives parish council award
- Credit: Archant
A volunteer who listens to children reading at Great Chesterford Primary School, helps out at the school’s breakfast club and the toddler group Chestertots, has received an award from the village’s parish council.
Terrie Lewis answered an advertisement by the Chestertots Committee three years ago saying they wanted to “adopt a granny” to help them out.
Tiffany Drake, a committee member at the time, told the Reporter: “Terrie was the only person to respond. We thought we obviously couldn’t expect her to be there every week but she came along the following Thursday morning and has been there almost every week since.”
Councillor Neil Gregory, chairman of the Parish Council, presented Terrie with a certificate, a bouquet of flowers and a garden voucher.
Terrie said: “I felt truly humbled to receive the award. I have written to the parish council to thank them, and thank you to anyone who nominated me. I do not deserve an award. I just do these things because I love being with the children.”
Tiffany added: “Terrie is dearly loved by the mums and nannies who attend Chestertots.
“When the call was put out for helpers at the school breakfast club Terrie jumped at the opportunity.
- 1 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 2 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 3 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 Items worth three-figure sum 'stolen' from Holland and Barrett
- 5 Uttlesford District Council to take part in energy rebate scheme
- 6 Alice in Wonderland cast announced for Bridge End Gardens performances in Saffron Walden
- 7 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 8 Saffron Walden Community Shed saves the day for charities in need
- 9 Simple Minds set for Audley End concert ahead of releasing new album Direction Of The Heart
- 10 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
“She said it was on the same day as Chestertots and would we mind if she came straight from one to the other (still arriving early).
“She attends school concerts and plays even though she has no relatives at the school, showing the delight she takes in the children she works with and her dedication to supporting them in all they do. She is also a doting real-life grandma, as well as our adopted one, so we are lucky and privileged that she shares her time with children in our village.
“She is always smiling, happy, positive and kind. If we could clone her, all world problems would be instantly solved. She is a true champion of community life.”