Great Notley: Teenage beauty queen crowned Miss East Anglia
- Credit: Archant
TEENAGE Beauty Queen Sophie Whitaker scooped two awards at the Miss East Anglia beauty pageant, including the top prize.
The 18-year-old beat 16 other candidates to be crowned Miss East Anglia and Miss Charity 2013 at the event, on Sunday.
Sophie, from Great Notley, said: “I couldn’t believe it when they had announced I had won. I was presented my crown and sash along with my prizes.
“I’m so happy all my hard work and dedication to this contest had paid off. I could honestly not have done it without my amazing family and friends who have supported me throughout the competition.
“The final went really well and I thoroughly enjoyed it, all of the girls were lovely.”
You may also want to watch:
The pageant, hosted at the Crown Plaza hotel in Colchester, began with each candidate modelling their clubwear before Sophie donned a dress made out of men’s ties for the ‘eco-dress’ theme.
She then performed a commercial street dance on stage before donning her finest evening wear for the final catwalk.
- 1 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 2 Saffron Walden young triathletes dominate at national qualifier
- 3 Tools collection is a huge success
- 4 District heroes named in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 5 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 6 Bronze Age and Roman treasures go on display at museum
- 7 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 8 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 9 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 10 'We're not trying to target young people': e-scooter awareness drive
As well as winning the top prize, Sophie received the Miss Charity title after she raised £320 for Beauty with a Purpose, a charity that works with various worldwide projects to help disadvantaged children.
The teenager will now compete in the final of Miss England, which is taking place in Torquay on June 15-16.