Great Notley: Teenage beauty queen crowned Miss East Anglia
- Credit: Archant
TEENAGE Beauty Queen Sophie Whitaker scooped two awards at the Miss East Anglia beauty pageant, including the top prize.
The 18-year-old beat 16 other candidates to be crowned Miss East Anglia and Miss Charity 2013 at the event, on Sunday.
Sophie, from Great Notley, said: “I couldn’t believe it when they had announced I had won. I was presented my crown and sash along with my prizes.
“I’m so happy all my hard work and dedication to this contest had paid off. I could honestly not have done it without my amazing family and friends who have supported me throughout the competition.
“The final went really well and I thoroughly enjoyed it, all of the girls were lovely.”
You may also want to watch:
The pageant, hosted at the Crown Plaza hotel in Colchester, began with each candidate modelling their clubwear before Sophie donned a dress made out of men’s ties for the ‘eco-dress’ theme.
She then performed a commercial street dance on stage before donning her finest evening wear for the final catwalk.
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 3 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 4 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 5 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 6 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Try this at home: Chef Webb from MasterChef's latest recipe
- 9 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 10 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
As well as winning the top prize, Sophie received the Miss Charity title after she raised £320 for Beauty with a Purpose, a charity that works with various worldwide projects to help disadvantaged children.
The teenager will now compete in the final of Miss England, which is taking place in Torquay on June 15-16.