Great Wall of China trek for intrepid working mums
AS a garden designer Anthea Harrison is no stranger to rolling her sleeves up and digging in.
But the mother-of-two will have a different challenge entirely on her hands when she takes on a nine-day trek along the Great Wall of China.
Mrs Harrison, who lives and runs Anthea Harrison Garden Design in Stansted, and her friend Nicola Maguire, a teacher from Bishop’s Stortford, must raise �5200 for Childline and its parent charity, the NSPCC, in order to take part in the “once in a lifetime” trip in October.
Mrs Harrison said: “Everyone needs a challenge now and then and this seemed ideal.
“Walking the Great Wall of China has been on my must-do list for some time. I have also been a long term supporter of Childline and believe they do an incredibly important job.
You may also want to watch:
“So I thought it was a great idea to combine the two, and I managed to rope Nicola along as well!”
Mrs Harrison and Mrs Maguire, who both have eight-year-old sons and four-year-old daughters, have so far raised more than �2000 towards their target.
- 1 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 2 Town council welcomes Affinity Water U-turn as supplier announces surcharge
- 3 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 6 WaldenTRI come together to produce a strong showing at Bedford Team Relays
- 7 How one business is encouraging pet owners to go plastic free
- 8 Saffron Walden Town off to winning start with victory at Sawbridgeworth
- 9 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 10 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
To help them along they have organised a night of glamour and refinement – a Red Carpet Ball to be held at Bury Lodge in Stansted on July 16.
They are being supported by the Occasionals string quartet from Stansted and the superb band Home Grown who will both be providing musical entertainment for the evening.
Guests will be treated to a champagne reception, three-course meal and a raffle and auction with some superb prizes including joint annual membership at Everyone Actives Grange Paddocks worth �680.
“As the name would suggest, the Red Carpet Ball is all about glamour,” said Mrs Harrison.
“Become a movie star for the night, bring your friends, name your table after your favourite film and dress to impress.”
Tickets are priced at �55 or �450 for a table of 10. To book call Mrs Harrison on 01279 917084 or Mrs Maguire on 07533 249082.
To donate to the cause online visit justgiving.com/anthea-harrison