Great Wall trek for Meningitis Trust
A NURSERY assistant will be taking on the challenge of a lifetime after signing up for an epic seven-day trek along the Great Wall of China.
Charlotte Holding, from Little Chesterford, decided to sign up for the trip to help raise cash for the Meningitis Trust.
The 25-year-old has been in training since November ahead of the main event, which includes walks along difficult mountain terrain for up to eight hours a day, in October.
“I’m doing country walks and regular gym sessions. It is going to be a real test, with long days and very steep climbs, but I am looking forward to pushing myself,” said Charlotte, who works at the Little Hands Nursery in Bartlow.
“I decided to sign up to it after seeing an advert in a magazine.
You may also want to watch:
“I was looking at ways to get fit anyway and, when I saw this, I thought it would be a great way to raise money for a fantastic cause as well.”
The Meningitis Trust raises awareness of the disease in addition to funding research into its long-term impact. In the UK, up to 500,000 people have had meningitis and it can strike quickly.
- 1 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 2 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 3 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 4 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 5 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 6 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 7 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 8 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 9 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 10 Town council backs new support club
Charlotte has pledged to raise �2,850 for the charity.
She said: “Meningitis is a devastating disease that can affect anyone and kill in a matter of hours. One of my close friends lost her hearing due to meningitis and I realise the instrumental work the trust does to help those affected by the illness.”
Charlotte is planning a number of local fundraising events, including an Ascot-themed Race Night at The Three Hills pub in Bartlow on March 24. For information e-mail email@example.com or to donate visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/CharlotteHoldingFundraising