Great Wall trek for Meningitis Trust
A NURSERY assistant will be taking on the challenge of a lifetime after signing up for an epic seven-day trek along the Great Wall of China.
Charlotte Holding, from Little Chesterford, decided to sign up for the trip to help raise cash for the Meningitis Trust.
The 25-year-old has been in training since November ahead of the main event, which includes walks along difficult mountain terrain for up to eight hours a day, in October.
“I’m doing country walks and regular gym sessions. It is going to be a real test, with long days and very steep climbs, but I am looking forward to pushing myself,” said Charlotte, who works at the Little Hands Nursery in Bartlow.
“I decided to sign up to it after seeing an advert in a magazine.
“I was looking at ways to get fit anyway and, when I saw this, I thought it would be a great way to raise money for a fantastic cause as well.”
The Meningitis Trust raises awareness of the disease in addition to funding research into its long-term impact. In the UK, up to 500,000 people have had meningitis and it can strike quickly.
- 1 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 2 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 3 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 6 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 7 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 8 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 9 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 10 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
Charlotte has pledged to raise �2,850 for the charity.
She said: “Meningitis is a devastating disease that can affect anyone and kill in a matter of hours. One of my close friends lost her hearing due to meningitis and I realise the instrumental work the trust does to help those affected by the illness.”
Charlotte is planning a number of local fundraising events, including an Ascot-themed Race Night at The Three Hills pub in Bartlow on March 24. For information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or to donate visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/CharlotteHoldingFundraising